Research Focus FY08:
Numerical simulation and dynamical theory of precipitating convection, its multi-scale organization, and cross-scale interaction; parameterization of convective organization in global models; dynamical mechanisms associated with the atmospheric water and energy cycles; convection-wave interaction in the Tropics with emphasis on the Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO); tropical-midlatitude interaction associated with THe Operational Research and Predictability EXperiment (THORPEX); collaboration with various international programs.
Community Service FY08:
- WCRP/CLIVAR MJO Working Group
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft Review Board
- NASA CloudSat Application Advisory Group
- Co-Chair: Year of Tropical Convection (YoTC) Planning Group of THORPEX-WCRP
- Co-Chair: MJO Focus Theme of CMMAP, Multiscale Modeling Framework (MMF), Colorado State University
- Adjunct Professor: Colorado State University
- Graduate Advisor: Ray Pallav, University of Miami
- Graduate Advisor: Gregory Elsaesser, Colorado State University
Scientific Talks FY08:
- Meso-convective organization in GCMs and CRMs: What's represented and what's not (Reading, GBR, 10/2007)
- Year of Tropical Convection (YOTC) (Reading, GBR, 10/2007)
- Challenges in the simulation of organized convection (London, GBR, 12/2007)
- Scientific Background to YOTC (Arlington, VA USA, 11/2007)
- Multiscale modeling at NCAR (Irvine, CA USA, 11/2007)
- Progress in the MJO Focus Theme (Los Angeles, CA USA, 01/2008)
- The Year of Tropical Convection (Seattle, WA USA, 08/2008)
- The Year of Tropical Convection (Geneva, CHE, 07/2008)
Publications FY08 (abstracts):
Donner, L., J. Gottschalck, H. Hendon, W. Higgins, I. Kang, E. Maloney, M. Moncrieff, S. Schubert, K. Sperber, W. Stern, F. Vitard, D. Waliser, B. Wang, W. Wang, K. Weickmann, M. Wheeler, S. Woolnough, C. Zhang, 2008: MJO simulation diagnostics. J. Climate (CLIVAR special issue). (Submitted)
Lane, T. P., M. W. Moncrieff, 2008: Stratospheric gravity waves generated by multiscale tropical convection. J. Atmos. Sci., 65, 2598-2614, doi: 10.1175/2007JAS2601.1.
Tao, W.-K., M. Moncrieff, 2008: Status and prospects of cloud-system resolving modeling. Rev. of Geophysics. (Submitted)
Liu, C.-H., M. Moncrieff, 2008: Explicitly simulated tropical convection over idealized warm pools. J. Geophys. Res.. (Submitted)
Lamptey, B. L., R. E. Pandya, T. T. Warner, R. Boger, R. T. Bruintjes, P. A. Kucera, A. Laing, M. Moncrieff, M. K. Ramamurthy, T. C. Spangler, M. Weingroff, 2008: The UCAR Africa Initiative. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., doi: 10.1175/2008BAMS2452.1. (In Press)
Liu, C.-H., M. W. Moncrieff, J. D. Tuttle, 2008: A note on propagating rainfall episodes over the Bay of Bengal. Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 134, 787-792.
Yoksas, T., R. Bruintjes, G. B. Foote, S. Heck, S. Herrmann, E. B. Hoswell, P. A. Kucera, A. G. Laing, B. Lamptey, M. Moncrieff, R. Pandya, M. Ramamurthy, R. Roberts, W. M. Spangler, T. T. Warner, M. Weingroff, 2008: The UCAR Africa Initiative - overview and update. Conf. on Intl. Topics, New Orleans, LA, US, American Meteorological Society.
Das, S., R. Ashrit, M. W. Moncrieff, M. Dasgupta, J. Dudhia, C. Liu, S. R. Kalsi, 2007: Simulation of intense organized convective precipitation observed during the Arabian Sea Monsoon Experiment (ARMEX). J. Geophys. Res. - Atmos., 112, D20117, doi: 10.1029/2006JD007627.